First Few days

I just got this set up, so I have a bit of catch up to do.

Day One, Jan 4th- Arrive in Wellington New Zealand @ 9am

Day two, Jan 5th - move onto the JR!
Before moving aboard I found my horoscope in a coffee shop - it read quite well.

"New options and techniques, as well as meeting innovative people who inspire you with their unique and original insights, are likely now."

Travis, Sandra, Steve and I came early to the ship (9:30) to unpack all our stuff. The JR looks beautiful, clean, bright and shinny, and almost new. There are so many halls and staircases (some that only go up, some that only go down) - getting around is like a maze, but I'm proud to say I'm already finding my way around. My state room is M5-22. The room is in the middle of the ship, meaning less noise and less motion. We then attended a reception and lectures w/local town officials and had the rest of the day off. I went for a run on the shoreline, and after I stopped at the supermarket and got strawberries, prosciutto, cheese, and a small roll and had myself a little picnic on the beach. Wellington is a pretty cool city! 

Day Three - Getting settled
Meetings start at 8:30 and we got a lot of information. Meals are served on 12s and 6s (really 11-1 and 5-7), cookie breaks are at 9s and 3s.There was a tour - and all the sudden the boat seemed a lot bigger than it did yesterday. More receptions in town, and off for the night.  So a bunch of us walked around Downtown Wellington and ran back for the midnight meal. Lucky for me there were mash potatoes! Yumm! Day two - and I can already proudly state that I made all 4 meals in a 24 period.

Day Four - Lab orientation
More meetings followed by lab orientation. I got to tell you this place is kind of cool. I love the microbioolgy and cheimstry labs. I get my own little corner with a my own microscope, cold room, anaerobic chamber, and everything else a microbiologist needs. I'm excited to get to work. Gale force winds outside, so I stayed in and went to the gym. I ran on the treadmill and didn't fall off!

Day Four - Last day on Land
More meetings, I made my some solutions for cell counting. And we had the rest of the day off. I went to the town, bought some last minute things. I bought the book "South" to get myself into the mood. After, I climbed Mt. Victoria to see the harbor from a birds eye view. I made sure to get some Gelato on my way back after my hike. Ship leaves at 10:30am tomorrow.



we have to write a report over this site and over the boat. you dont know me, but i've read up on you and the fact that your a scientist is facinating. I am an 8th grader and i am amazed by the I.Q. level that you must need to get to where you are. I bealive that what you guy are doing out there is amazing!

Your unknown friend,
M. King

I also think i would like to go and get core samples in the JOIDES too! Thanks again, and keep posting! OH and tell the person that runs the site to put more games on because im will have to be on here for the rest of the year and ive already done everything!!!!!!

Hi Stephanie

I'm so glad to hear you are settling in well on your home away from home. It's amazing how quickly you feel comfortable in your new surroundings. My cabin was on the M deck also and I never had any trouble sleeping - even when the winds were really blowing! I had a great time talking with you before I went home and I know you're going to have the time of your life! Remember that phone number I taught you! - Julie