6 weeks 4 days
PETM Core Model (IODP 208)
This Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM) core from the Walvis Ridge in the South Atlantic.
Activity Type:Kits and Loan Items
This Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM) core from the Walvis Ridge in the South Atlantic shows the distinct boundary between two time periods when a warming climate initiated a rapid release of carbon resulting in extreme ocean acidification.
How to use the core model with students:
- Review the core background information and other resources provided with the kit.
- Use What You See Is What You Get< with the core model instead of or along with the core photos referenced in the activity.
- Use the model with these more in depth activities and resources from the PETM theme page<.
- Abrupt Events of the Past 70 million years-Evidence from Scientific Ocean Drilling
- Introductory Activity: Oxygen Isotopes, Milankovitch and Climate
- Paleocene- Eocence Thermal Maximum
A) Part 1: ship-board data and analysi
B) Part 2: Shore-based data and analysis
- PETM in Review
- Global Change Today and Lessons from the PETM