5 weeks 2 days
J-aRt Contest 2014
Enter this year's J-aRt Contest and show us your EXTREME creativity! Winning cup masterpieces will be sent down to the seafloor, where the intense pressure will shrink them!
We invite your entries of amazing designs on styrofoam cups in the categories listed below. Need inspiration? See our winners from last year here! (though we are not doing sculptures this year - only cups) And don't worry - we do not litter in the ocean - the cups will all be brought back up on the ship.
1. Abstract: Cool, funky designs
2. All about the JR: draw the ship or a part of it!
3. Earth processes: earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, mountains, craters, the whole planet Earth, oh my! Can you draw something related to one of these?
Rules and Instructions
1. Use a 9-12-oz stryofoam cup as your canvas. Create your amazing and unique design with permanent ink - Sharpies work best. You may want to create your design on practice cups first. Any questions? Email: email@example.com.
2. Take several high quality images - up to 4 - of your completed cup and send them to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. You must also fill out our on-line entry form. One entry form per cup, even if you send multiple photos. You may enter more than once, but you must fill out an entry form for each entry.
3. DEADLINE is midnight: June 10, 2014.
4. The top 3 winners in each age group - elementary, middle school, high school and college-level -- will be contacted to ship their original artwork cups to IODP Education. We will then send them with the JOIDES Resolution, where they will be lowered down to the seafloor during Expedition 352, which leaves port in Yokohama, Japan July 30, 2014 and returns to Taiwan September 29. We will document the artworks' descent to the seafloor and before and after images. We will make live web-based interactions available for as many of the winning entrants' classes as possible. We know a lot of this expedition is during the summer, but we will do our best!
5. PRIZES: In addition to the documentation described above and a feature on our website, each top winner will receive a special, limited edition J-aRt Winner T-shirt designed by artist Nicole Kurtz, and a certificate suitable for framing. We also hope to exhibit all winning entries in an art show open to the public.
6. Participation is open to students worldwide, aged 5-22 years old. Three prizes within each age group will be awarded. Competition age groups are: 5-8; 9-12; 13-17; 18-25 years of age.