- Leckie et al. (2006) Education and Science Connect at Sea. EOS 4, 24 240-241.
- Peart, L., and Klaus, A. (2007) Retooling Ocean Drilling Science into Earth Science Educational Resources. Scientific Drilling 4, 35-37.
- St. John, K., Leckie M., Slough, S., Peart, L. Niemitz, M., and Klaus, A. (2009) The Integrated Ocean Drilling Program “School of Rock” Lessons learned from an ocean-going research expedition for earth and ocean science educators. Geological Society of America Special Papers 2009; 461; 261-273.
- Niemitz, M., Slough, S., St. John, K., Leckie, M., Peart, L., Klaus, A. (2010) Integrating K-12 hybrid online education activities in teacher education programs: reflections from the School of Rock expedition. In Technology Implementation and Teacher Education: Reflective Models. IGI Global Publications.
- Van Hoessen, John (2012) School of rock: Educating educators at sea. Earth Magazine.
- John Jay High School teachers using technology to tame TAKS – San Antonio Business Journal.
- Kurtz, Kevin (2010) School of Rock: The Toughest Marine Science Professional Development Opportunity You’ll Ever Love. Sea Scripts, National Marine Educators Association.ess Journal.
Three articles from the ECORD (European Cosortium for Ocean Research Drilling) Newsletter:
- ‘School of Rock 2009’ – Cores, CORKS and Crust on the Juan de Fuca Ridge
- IODP core replicas help to teach science
- School of Rock 2011 – A five year review: JOIDES Resolution – July 31-August 5, 2011