QUICK GLIMPSE: Important Dates and Deadlines
- Once you receive from Jennifer Collins (via email) the IODP SCIMPI/858G Re CORK Expedition 341S official invitation, please return asap according to the directions.
- Make an appointment to get a physical exam. Physical Exam Forms must be signed by your doctor and received by March 5, 2013. (See below for links to the forms)
- Make sure your passport is current.
By February 11, 2012
- Complete the Participant Survey Form
- Send a photo of yourself to email@example.com. This will be used for the website.
By February 25, 2013
- Send a copy of your current passport to Janice Muston at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate that you are part of the School of Rock 2013.
By March 5, 2013
- Send completed Physical exam for Exp 341S participants (SCIMPI transit) to Ollie Berka at email@example.com
By March 20, 2013
- Send your flight itinerary to Julie Farver firstname.lastname@example.org and Jennifer Collins email@example.com
By April 15, 2013
- Optional: Sign up for live videoconference with your audience onshore during the School of Rock.We will schedule opportunities for School of Rock participants to conduct live video-broadcasts with audiences and/or colleagues back home. Think about what objectives would best match the goals and the best times for your shore-based audience.
- Explore Deep Earth Academy activities and resources. Think about which ones are most relevant to your teaching. Try one out if you can!
- If you don’t have a copy already, download a copy of A Framework for K-12 Science Education. Read and prepare to discuss the Executive Summary (ES1-ES3) and the Guiding Assumptions and Organization of the Framework (Chapter 2).
- Bring an existing activity that relates to IODP themes such as earth dynamics (faults, subduction zones), deep biosphere, evolution, climate change, STEM) that you would like to revise/enhance by a) updating content with current research, b) incorporating effective process and nature of science skills c) figuring out ways to align with the Next Generation Science Standards. For cyber school teachers, think about something that you would like to convert so that it is more effective with your distance learning students.
- Find your curriculum map, or course content outline for one or more courses you teach. We will be using these as a framework and to align what we learn and experience with the Next Generation Science Standards, existing activities, and new activities.
- Become familiar with Google Earth (http://www.google.com/earth/index.html). We will be incorporating this resource in one or more of our experiences.
PREPARATION – Webinars – Packing – IT
- Participate in the Webinars (60-90 minutes)
- Tuesday March 14 at 3:00 EST – An introduction to the JOIDES Resolution and IODP program
- Friday April 19 at 2:00 EST – Getting Prepared for the School of Rock
- Use the Preparation and Packing List to get ready for your travels
Please send any questions or thoughts to Jen (firstname.lastname@example.org)