Want to sail on the JR as an Onboard outreach officer?
We are now accepting applications to sail as an Onboard Outreach Officer for 2 upcoming expeditions. This position is open to U.S. citizen or candidates affiliated with U.S. institution.
JOIDES Resolution Onboard Outreach Officers sail on board the ship to share the science story with students, families, and the general public. We welcome applications from classroom teachers, informal science educators, artists, videographers, writers, social media experts and anyone who can make a good case for themselves! Selected applicants will have the opportunity to learn shipboard science alongside the expedition’s science party and translate the exciting science happening on board through creation of blogs, videos, social networking sites, live ship-to-shore video events and development of educational resources. Successful applicants will be creative, flexible, friendly and hardworking. Some geoscience background is helpful. All expenses for U.S. Onboard Education/Outreach Officers for travel to and from the ports of call, and a stipend are paid by the U.S. Science Support Program for IODP. Onboard Education/Outreach Officers are selected through a competitive application and interview process. The selected individual(s) will also be flown to a 3-day training session prior to their expedition. Non-U.S. applicants will be directed to their country IODP office but are still encouraged to apply.
Application period will close on February 10, 2020.
The goals of the Onboard Outreach Program are to:
- Raise awareness of IODP
- Promote and support IODP science.
- Inspire and promote STEM learning
- Utilize IODP data in classrooms
- Increase diversity
You can apply to sail on one of two expeditions:
- Expedition 391: Walvis Ridge Hotspot (December 5, 2020 to February 4, 2021)
- Expedition 392: Agulas Plateau Cretaceous Climate (February 4, 2021 – April 4, 2021)
Review the application materials (listed below), then go the USSSP Application Portal to submit an online application to the Onboard Outreach Program. During the application process, you will be asked to rank the expeditions in which you are interested. Our application has the following components:
- a completed application form
- an up-to-date C.V.
- a recommendation letter
- contact information for two additional references
- a one-page proposal describing projects aligned to the goals of the Onboard Outreach Program that you would like to carry out while sailing.
- answers to several short essay questions
- a letter of support from your administrator if needed
Also, watch our video about being an Outreach Officer here.
Read blogs by our former Onboard Outreach Officers for advice on the application process and how the experience has enhanced their profession after sailing
Also, for reference, please read our Three Year Summary/Evaluation report of the Education/Outreach program.