What is the JOIDES Resolution?
The JOIDES Resolution (JR) is a research vessel that drills into the ocean floor to collect and study core samples. Scientists use data from the JR to better understand climate change, geology and Earth’s history. It is a part of the International Ocean Discovery Program and is funded by the National Science Foundation.
The next expedition for the JOIDES Resolution will begin on January 4. In the meantime, check out our other resources:
- Read recent blogs from the science party
- Sign your classroom or institution up for a live ship-to-shore event
- Watch videos from our multimedia library
- Check out recent expeditions
- Look through our educational materials and free downloadable resources
Time at Sea: 2 days