26th May 2009
Well I’m sorry not to have blogged for so long, but it has been pretty busy here. We’ve spent the last couple of days logging the first hole (A) at U1337, and I’m pleased to say it was a success!
We managed to put three different logging toolstrings downhole to take measurements such as natural gamma ray, resistivity, density and we also deployed a VSI (Versatile Seismic Imager) tool to obtain a VSP (Vertical Seismic Profile) and an FMS (Formation MicroScanner) to obtain electrical images of the formation. Altogether, we were logging for nearly 45 hours from preparing the tools to go downhole to recovering the last toolstring and dismantling it. So now the fun really starts…we can start working on the data!
Since finishing the logging yesterday, the team has been catching up on sleep. I’ve managed to get back onto my shift having had a very welcome chunk of sleep. Back on shift I see that the rest of the Science Party and IODP staff have made good progress on Hole B. The ship moved 20 metres south from Hole A’s location to the new B hole yesterday lunchtime, and already we have core samples down to 100 metres below the sea floor. Yet again – “Core on the floor!”.
Hope you all had a great Memorial Day weekend.
P.S. The pic today is of Bridget and I in our (just by chance) matching outfits.