6 weeks 23 hours
Live Video Events with the JOIDES Resolution
Connect your students/visitors/teachers live to the JR at sea! We provide live video broadcasts via zoom.us with the educators and scientists on board the ship during every expedition. Sign up is on a first come, first served basis. Want to see what an event is like? Watch here<!
Recent quotes from live event participants:
"Scientists answered questions in a way that the students could understand. The broadcast was well planned and very insightful. The students were very impressed." - Exp. 360
"This was an excellent opportunity for my students to see "science in action" and gain a better understanding of the fact that science is not always confined to the lab." - Exp. 360
"Thank you for allowing our school to participate in this experience. It was an amazing opportunity to allow our students to interact with scientists from around the world. Students were able to experience the collaboration of the scientists on board." - Exp. 361
"This was really, really fantastic. Science communication/outreach people were so well prepared and helpful in scheduling and preparing for the event. It was excellent and I will plan to do it again if possible." - Exp. 362
Thank you SO much for the webcast yesterday. It was a great experience for the kids and for me. The science information was a perfect fit for our Geoscience unit, but more importantly, it showed the students science in action and some of the possibilities that await if they want to pursue a career in science; I really can't begin to describe what a positive experience this was for us." - Exp. 366
To sign up for a live event during any of our upcoming expeditions, follow our new instructions<:
You can also download the instructions from the link at the bottom of this page.
The public Google calendar for live events is here<.
Dates for the next several expeditions:
Exp. 367 South China Sea Rifted Margin A: Feb. 7 - April 9, 2017<
Exp. 368 South China Sea Rifted Margin B: April 9 - June 11 2017
Exp. 371 Tasman Frontier Subduction Initiation: July 27 - September 26, 2017
Once your date is confirmed, here are a few things you can do to prepare:
- Sign up< to get the monthly JR newsletter.
- Explore some of our FREE materials<: posters, models, core pencils and more!
- Make sure you have a good internet connection available.
- Follow the current expedition on Facebook< and Twitter<.<
- Show your audience the Introduction to the JR< presentation and other educator resources.<
- Watch a couple of our videos. We recommend JR Time Machine<; Core on the Floor<, Drilling Operations 24/7<, Life on Board the JR<, and Core on the Shore< for starters.
- Have your audience brainstorm questions to submit to scientists and ship staff during the video broadcast. You can also submit questions before and after through our Ask a Scientist< page.
Meet our current educators on board here<.
After Your Event
Once you have done an event with us, we would love to have your feedback - as we are always working to improve our events. Please click here< to take our Video Events Survey.
Are you inspired? Considering applying to sail on the JR as an Education Officer<!
|intro to JR.pdf||1.23 MB|